Microgreens health benefits vary from plant to plant but as the trend of microgreens in the health and food communities rapidly increases in the US and worldwide, people want to understand the health benefits of microgreens.
Many want to know so they can improve their health and wellness through nutrition found in whole plants they're already familiar with like Broccoli, Kale and Radish.
If you're not familiar, Microgreens are baby vegetables and categorized as a phase in the plants life. Here are the different phases:
- Phase 1 - Sprouts (2-5 days old)
- Phase 2 - Microgreens (10-21 days old)
- Phase 3 - Baby greens (15-40 days old)
Phase 4 - the mature plant (45-150 days old)
The plant never has more key nutrients, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants than around the 14 day mark in phase 2 as a plant in a microgreen phase.
Because microgreens taste great and are beautiful to look at, they have been mostly used as a garnish at high end restaurants. Over the past few years, the health food community has begun to be educated themselves on their benefits and has started sneaking them into smoothies, sandwiches, salads and much more.
Studies show that microgreens health benefits and concentration can vary widely depending on the vitamin, mineral, nutrient, antioxidant and plant that's being examined but typical results are 6-70x more dense per mg.
Red Cabbage Microgreens
- 6x more vitamin C in microgreens, 147mg/245% daily value vs the mature version at 57 mg.
- 40x more vitamin E in microgreens
- 69x more vitamin K in microgreens
More nutrients than mature leaves
- A team of scientist from the University of Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture analyzed the nutrients composition of 25 microgreen varieties and found that cotyledon leaves (first leaves of a seedling) had higher composition of nutrients than in the mature plant.
It's hard to get all the vitamins an minerals your body needs every single day. Many of us are deficient in many areas. Because of this, eating microgreens is an easy way to bridge that gap and make sure you're getting everything you need to grow, heal and maintain your body. That's why we include over 400 broccoli and 200 kale microgreens in every tin of our Microtea.
More vegetables = more of the good stuff your body needs. Order yours today!